*In English only.
Workshops offered by Altitude are reserved exclusively to graduate students, doctoral and postdoctoral fellows. A fee may be charged in case of non-excused absence.
The most powerful language is also the simplest. When each word has a clear meaning and purpose, readers can move easily through a text and focus on its message. Unfortunately, much writing today is needlessly bureaucratic and difficult to read. The culprits are many:
• Language that serves the writer instead of the reader
• Organization that buries the important messages
• Wordiness that stifles clarity
• Abstractions that make the writing dense and difficult to follow
• Jargon that hinders understanding
• Poor page design that ignores the reader’s needs
And these are just some of the problems.
This seminar will help you overcome these pitfalls and create documents that say what they mean—efficiently. We’ll start by defining clear writing (what it is and what it isn’t) and explaining its benefits. We’ll then examine the writing process and describe some important reader-centred techniques. Next, we’ll discuss where to place key messages and then address ten practical techniques for creating clear language. We’ll conclude by looking at page design and ways of evaluating readability.
Throughout the seminar, individual and group exercises will give you a chance to apply plain language to real-life passages.
Whether you’re a seasoned writer looking to affirm your approach or a newcomer eager to jumpstart your career, this seminar will help you get results from clear writing.
- Version alternative
- L’atelier n’est pas offert dans l’autre langue.
- Public cible
- Mode de livraison
- En classe
- Frais en cas d’absence sans préavis
- 50 $
Il n'y a pas d'événement disponible pour l'instant.